Translate

Friday, October 7, 2016

Happy Ending

So, after dragging you guys along for several weeks, here's the happy ending I had to write for the "Election Day" story. I wanted to write more in the in-between parts, but somehow, every time I tried to start a scene at a different point in time, it petered out very quickly, and I couldn't make it go anywhere. So, following my own advice about "not forcing it," I wrote this scene instead. I found it satisfying, even if I don't think it lives up to the potential the concept had to begin with.

---

Soft jazz music played in the background, almost covered by the soft conversational voices and clinking of silverware against glittering china plates. Alice glanced across the table at her husband and felt her heart do that funny fluttering thing that her mother told her meant she was still in love. Philip was dressed in his best grey suit, with a cream shirt and a dark green tie. He caught her eye and smiled in that way of his that said “you’re beautiful” without him needing to speak the words out loud.

Alice’s gaze shifted down to her plate and heat flushed from her neck up to her cheeks, even as she smiled. She’d dreamed about this for so many weeks… and now it was really happening. Thanks to her parents’ patience and a generous donation from Philip’s brother, they were actually having a nice evening together.



“I have some good news.” Philip’s voice drew her eyes back up to his face again, and he looked so happy, he was practically glowing. It was wonderful to see him so pleased and healthy again. “One of those computer repair shops I was in the other day forwarded my resume to a company they do warranty repairs for, and it was accepted. They want to schedule an interview for next week.”

Alice grinned, her heart swelling with pride. He had been so set on being a politician when they had first met, set on making his father proud. Now that being a political leader had been ruled out, he had embraced his dream - repairing and building computers.

“That’s great! I can give you a ride if it’s on Tuesday. I have Tuesday off next week.”

Philip puffed out his chest, looking extremely pleased with himself. Pleased with her, too. “I was hoping you’d be able to. I’ll ask for an interview on Tuesday.”

“Did you enjoy your dinner?” The waitress approached with a warm smile. “Were you guys interested in any dessert today?” She started gathering their dishes, and Alice traded a look with her husband over the table, and was a little surprised when Philip answered for them.

“Not today, thank you. It was delicious, though.”

“Good. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ll have to try that tilapia sometime - I keep hearing it’s fabulous.” She pulled the check from her pocket inquiringly, and Philip nodded, reaching out to take it. “I’ll swing by in a couple minutes to pick up your payment - if there’s anything else I can get you, just let me know.” The waitress flashed them another smile, picked up their neatly-stacked plates and whisked them away.

Alice bit her lip as she looked at her husband, trying not to smile. “What are you planning?”

“A surprise.”

In a moment, the waitress returned and took the check and card with her. “Be right back!” As she disappeared again, Alice pointed one long finger at her husband.

“You’re planning something!”

“Of course I am.” Philip’s eyes twinkled. He knew he was getting to her, and he was enjoying it. With a groan of frustration, she glared at him, which only make him chuckle.

Shortly, they were ready to go. Alice stood, pulling on her jacket. Philip wheeled his chair away from the table and down the aisle toward the door, wearing a smile that was just a few shades too smug for her taste. Alice waited patiently as Philip got into the car, then folded the wheelchair to slide it into the back, where it fit neatly on the floor just inside the door.

Climbing into the driver’s seat, she buckled herself in, but didn’t start the engine. She still had moments when driving scared her. It was all too easy to remember the pickup careening toward them, the woman in the baseball cap, the flash of pink in the back seat that was Tammy being thrown forward into the seat in front of her.

“Alice.” His voice startled her back into life, and the woman shivered a little as she grasped Philip’s hand. When she looked at him, there was a kind smile on his face. “It’ll be alright.” He didn’t try to give a reason. It was a relief, not to have to think about it anymore.

“You had a surprise planned,” she said, and started the car.

“I do.”

“What is it?”

“I can’t tell you that. Then it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore.”

“Does it have anything to do with your interview on Tuesday?”

“I haven’t scheduled that interview yet.”

“With you, that means next to nothing. You could have planned this two months ago, and still included your interview.”

Philip chuckled as he scanned the road ahead. “Your confidence in my planning abilities is truly flattering, but no. Your surprise has nothing to do with my interview on Tuesday.”

Alice pursed her lips, but couldn’t say she was actually upset with him. His little game was distracting her from the memories that always lurked in the back of her mind when she drove. He was a good man, and she didn’t know what she’d done to deserve him.

When they arrived home, she backed into the parking spot so Philip would be able to go up the ramp easily and straight to the door, then automatically got out to help unfold his wheelchair.

But when she put the chair where Philip could easily lift himself down into it, he reached out and turned it, so he could grip the handles at the back instead. Alice watched as her husband swung his legs out of the car. He wasn’t paralyzed - his legs still worked, they just didn’t like to support his weight for very long. But now, he stood.

Gripping the handles of his wheelchair tightly, he began to walk, his face pinched with concentration. Alice caught her breath and, with hands that shook only very slightly, closed the car door behind him, then moved ahead to open the apartment door for him.

“Philip, you… you can walk. I thought they said….”

He didn’t reply until he made it inside and to his chair. When he sat down again he sighed as though letting out a breath she hadn’t known he was holding, and gave her a tired grin. “I’ll probably always need a cane, but I’m making progress, Ali. Do you like your surprise?”

There were tears in her eyes as she knelt beside his chair and hugged him tight. “It’s the best surprise ever. I love you so much. So much.”

“Not just because I can walk, I hope,” he joked, but held her to him. “I told you, I signed up for a lifetime membership. You can’t get rid of me now.”

“I have a surprise for you, too.” Alice wiped her eyes and smiled up at him. “Tammy’s coming for a visit this weekend. Her father will be on a business trip, and I volunteered to look after her for a couple days.”

Philip’s eyes crinkled with pleasure. They both liked Tammy, and if they both felt a little responsible for the death of her mother, it wasn’t stopping them from loving the little girl as though she were their niece.

“We’ll be delighted to have her. I’m glad you invited her.” Pause. “And maybe someday, we can think about having our own.”

Alice blushed, but couldn’t help but smile. Things were looking up, however slowly. She had her husband back, and he was recovering, and everything would be alright, even if it wasn’t the way she thought it would be when he first asked her to marry him.

“We can think about it,” she agreed, and kissed him. “Thank you for a wonderful night.”

2 comments:

  1. *grabs box of tissues* *Sniffle* A happy ending! Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sniffle, Achoo! Happy endings are us! Hm... I may have to start a blog like you two great writers!

    ReplyDelete