Translate

Friday, April 21, 2017

"Legal"

"Do you have a better idea?"
"Yeah. Why don't you just send him to the school nurse? He skipped the school physical."
"The school physical exam is optional. I can't make him submit to it if he doesn't want to."
"Why not?"
"Because that's not legal."
"Why?"
"Aren't you too old for that question?"
"No."

"Look. I can't just force him to let doctors poke him because I need evidence. He has to give evidence willingly."
"I can make him give evidence willingly."
"That's not how this works."
"Why not?"
"Good Lord above, what monster have I spawned? If you ruin my investigation, so help me, I will ground you for the rest of your natural life."
"Of course, Daddy. It's only fair."
"I hate you sometimes."
"You love me."
"Yeah, I do. But I'll never admit it in public. Now go brush your teeth. I'm not driving you to school if you miss the bus."

---
I may take this exact dialogue and insert descriptions between the lines. Then again, I might not. In any case, it was fun to write. This is a conversation which took place mostly inside my own head between a police officer and his slightly less than law-abiding daughter, concerning a friend of hers, whose parents are the subject of an investigation concerning abuse and criminal neglect.
If you're asking yourself why I keep such characters inside my head, the answer is thus: the security isn't tight enough in other places. (And that's saying something, since the security team in my brain is usually too busy investigating strange noises and chilly drafts to stop anyone from leaving.)

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, interesting dialogue. Actually, an inside-out sort of story of the characters in your head would be really interesting to write/read! I'll have to give that story plot some thought. Not just emotion characters, but the odd ones roaming around. :P

    Hmm, am I turning into a work-a-holic? It's 20 min. past my work day and yet here I sit, frantically trying to finish notes/tickets. On a friday no less. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. And on a Friday, no less! For shame. *shakes head* Job security, that. Always too much work to get done in all the time you have.

    An Inside Out story about the characters in my head? That might be... interesting. I hadn't considered that. There are so many characters living in my head that they rotate out every other week or so.

    ReplyDelete