Translate

Friday, October 20, 2017

Possible Prologue?

So, to explain - this is the 2nd or 3rd draft of an prologue that I'm not sure I'm going to use for the purpose I intended. After some overhauling, poking holes, filling holes, and setting development, the novel for this year's NaNoWriMo has slid sideways out of the setting/plot that would have used this prologue. I might use it another time, but not for this novel. 

---
Space is a song yet to be sung,
Light is a story, awaiting a tongue.
You who have walked where I've never dwelled,
Shall hear as I tell you all I've beheld.
Who am I to tell you what no mortal ear
Would ever, could ever, be fit to hear?
I am a Star, and what I have seen
Is stuff of your dreaming, and all that can mean.
And so, here's my challenge; if you so dare
To write down this story and its wonder share.
Remember this tale and believe, my dear youth,
For all I shall tell you from here on is truth.

So says the star, barely audible over birdsong outside the window on a chill, early autumn morning.
​My morning meal is cold as I write this, and I must use short-hand simply to keep up with what the star whispers in my ear. Either I am going insane or this is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. A scribe with little work, great aspirations, and rather empty coffers, I am not one to turn down inspiration when it gift-wraps itself for me. The morning sun has cleared the horizon now and the star is quiet again. I can only pray that when I break my morning fast tomorrow before dawn the star will deign to continue its tale.
You may not believe what I've written here. I hardly believe it myself. Perhaps when we have heard more, we will believe.
Perhaps not.
Please find enclosed the first chapters of what promises to be a tale for the ages, for no tale yet was told by a star.
No tale heard by men, that is.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this. Have you written any more for this piece? (Your name was associated with an INTJ article I was reading, and it was displayed as a hyperlink, which led me here.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've rewritten this piece so many times, I'm not sure it would be recognizable anymore. That said, I have written the rest of this story, and the first draft of the novel is now complete. :) I'll be posting more of it as I work on it over the next couple months.

      Delete